Oi, Hollywood! Leave the books alone!

Go down

Oi, Hollywood! Leave the books alone!

Post  KaibaGirl007 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 am

I've recently found out that Disney are going to be making a film of one of my favourite series of books.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_a_Shopaholic_%28film%29

NO, NO, NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOO! Evil or Very Mad

First off, Disney have the rights to it so can you say watered down preschool-kiddy friendly cack?
Secondly, I hate the choice for the two lead roles. Isla Fisher and Hugh Dancy? WTF?
And thirdly, the thing which is pissing me off the most, they're setting it in Manhattan! If it was going to be the second or third book fine as they are set there, but come on whats wrong with keeping it where it belongs in the UK?!

I can see this being a fine British creation spoilt by Americanism. Crying or Very sad

Okay which films based on books make you cringe the most?
KaibaGirl007
Admin

View user profile http://kaibaland.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Oi, Hollywood! Leave the books alone!

Post  frenchsnake on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:39 pm

Ooh, what to pick... I guess the one I'm most pissed off about is the recent movie adaptation of The Dark is Rising series, which they named The Seeker for some reason. Maybe hoping some people would see it by mistake, thinking it was related to Harry Potter? Sure, the main character is technically called a 'seeker', but what was wrong with the original name?

There are a ton of things I could complain about with this movie, especially since the Dark is Rising is my favorite series, but luckily it's been over a year now and the pain of it has dulled. Like your movie, Emma, it was supposed to be set in the UK, and it partially was, but for some reason they thought it was a good idea to make the main character some sort of visiting American tourist instead. They changed the story enormously, and not in an interesting way, and changed small but very important details, like making the BLACK RIDER'S horse WHITE (THERE IS A WHITE RIDER IN LATER BOOKS!!). *sigh* It made me sad.

frenchsnake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaibaGirl007 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:18 pm

I remember you telling me about that but I still haven't seen it or read the book. It's so sad when books get raped Sad

I actually saw the Shopaholic film and it wasn't as bad as I was imagining.

Two other films adapted from books that I've seen recently were 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince' and 'The Time Traveller's Wife'. Both books I'm glad that I haven't re-read recently or I would be picking out every tiny little difference between the two (mainly the rearrangement of events does my head in the most!), so they were actually quite bearable to watch in that sense.

Oh, and I saw Coraline as well which I enjoyed, yet despite owning the book for going on three years now I still haven't read it. *hangs head in shame*

Back to top Go down

Post  frenchsnake on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:39 pm

Coraline, huh? I saw the movie and wasn't impressed by it, but then I read the book and I think that was much better. As far as the sixth Harry Potter movie, though, I think that was the first Harry Potter movie that I actually liked. Of course it wasn't exactly like the book, but I think it was done well. I think the most important part of making a book into a movie, really, is not sticking strictly to the book in plot but in substance, and even showing us a part of that universe that hadn't been examined yet. So that's what I've liked about the Harry Potter movies (like the chocolate frog jumping out the window), even when they haven't been that good... Wow, hark at me actually saying that I've liked something about the Harry Potter movies. Smile

frenchsnake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaibaGirl007 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:53 am

Chamber of Secrets is my fav Potter film, which also happens to be my least favourite book of the series.
KaibaGirl007
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  frenchsnake on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:08 am

Really? Why?

frenchsnake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaibaGirl007 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:40 am

I'm not sure. There's just something about that film that makes me more entertained than the others each time I watch it. Maybe it's because it's my least favourite of the books so there's less of my favourite scenes/moments for the film makers to leave out/ruin? And as for why it's my least favourite book, I'm not too sure on that either. It just didn't have a point where it grabbed my attention so much to not make me put it down which I got at some point with the other six.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down